Our reputation depends upon our commitment to the highest ethical standards and conducting business with the utmost level of integrity. This includes our commitment to respecting personal privacy and the confidentiality of information.
1. Collecting Information
We may collect personal information about you from a number of sources, including:
• When you agree to take a service or product from us, in which case this may include your contact details, date of birth, how you will pay for the product or service and your bank details.
• When you contact us with an enquiry or in response to a communication from us, including the completion of applications for employment
• From documents that are available to the public.
Some of the personal information we hold about you may be ‘sensitive personal data’ within the meaning of the Data Protection Act 1998.
2. Using Information
We will only use personal information in compliance with applicable law.
2.1 Information you provide or we hold about you, whether or not under our contract(s), may be used by us or our agents (or both) to:
• identify you when you contact us
• help identify accounts, services and/or products which you could have from us from time to time
• help run and contact you about improvements in the running of any accounts, services and products we have provided before, or provide now or in the future
• carry out marketing and customer communication
• help to prevent and detect fraud or loss
• contact you in any way (including mail, email, phone, visit, text or multimedia messages) about products and services offered by us and selected partners. We will only contact you in this way if you have previously shown your consent
2.2 We may allow other people and organisations to use information we hold about you:
• to provide the services you have asked for
• as part of the process of selling one or more of our businesses
• if we have been asked to provide information for legal or regulatory purposes as part of current or future legal proceedings
2.3 From time to time, these other people and organisations may be outside the European Economic Area in countries that do not have the same standards of protection for personal data as the UK.
2.4 We may monitor and record communication with you (including phone conversations and emails) for quality assurance and compliance.
2.5 Where you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that you have provided them with the information set out in this document and that they have not objected to the uses of their personal information described in it. If you give us sensitive data about yourself or others (such as health details or details of any criminal convictions of members of your household), you agree (and confirm that the relevant subject of the information has agreed) to us processing such information in the manner set out in this document.
3. Protecting Information
We have policies and systems in place to protect client information and to ensure that this is accurate. Our procedures also ensure that we will respond promptly to any queries raised about the accuracy of the information we hold.
4. The Internet
4.1 If you communicate with us using the Internet, we may occasionally email you about our services and products. When you first give us personal information through our website, we will normally give you the opportunity to say whether you would prefer us not to contact you by email. However, you can always send us an email at any time if you change your mind.
4.2 Please remember that communication over the Internet, such as emails and web mails (messages sent through a website), are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communication may go through a number of countries before they are delivered – this is the nature of the Internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
6. IP Addresses and Cookies
6.1 We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
6.2 For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
(a) To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
(b) To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
(c) To speed up your searches.
(d) To recognise you when you return to our site.